The Young and the Restless

 She watched her program every afternoon 

you just knew not to disturb her 

when that theme song came on

it was the end of conversation with you.

I don’t remember the story line. I’d ask sometimes

and she would try to explain who’s who 

And if I came back a few weeks later I could see

the characters hadn’t really moved on, were still

embroiled in some feud, I thought it was boring.

But she was a Grandma after all, took the children

after school while their Moms worked, divorce

all that too. So I suppose it was something relaxing to do.

I remember my little niece one day burst out singing

the soap opera theme song when it came on

she had perfect pitch and hummed it magnificently

(completely surprised both my mother and me)

and we smiled, a rare moment of harmony

And I’m smiling now at the memory.


write a poem that is inspired by a piece of music, and that shares its title with that piece of music

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dusty rose dreaming

early bird

Tumbling verse - Day 16